24/7 Toll Free Help: 1-800-859-0844

Bankruptcy Requirements

There are some restrictions on who can file for bankruptcy protection in the United States. In order to be eligible, you must live, have a residence, place of business or property in the country. You must take a means test to determine if you are eligible for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy or if you will have to file under Chapter 13. The means test, along with a requirement for credit counseling, was added to the bankruptcy process by the 2005 Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act (BAPCPA).

For Chapter 7, you must not have been granted a discharge under Chapter 7 or completed a Chapter 13 repayment plan in the past 6 years. You also must not have had a bankruptcy filing dismissed for cause in the past 180 days.

Requirements under Chapter 13 Bankruptcy require that you have a regular income, have less than $250,000 in unsecured debt and less than $750,000 in secured debt.

Your Next Steps

Once you decide if you can file, the next step is figuring out How To File Bankruptcy. Your best bet is to consult a bankruptcy attorney who can evaluate your case for free and advise you how to proceed.

Discuss Your Case with a Bankruptcy Lawyer for FREE!

If you would like to learn more about how Bankruptcy can help improve your financial situation, please complete the form below. A local bankruptcy attorney will contact you and answer your questions for free. Don't wait -- Get Help Today!

Copyright © 2004-2015 Bankruptcy Home | Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Site Map | Bankruptcy Law Links | Attorneys: Join Our Network

ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT NOTICE: BankruptcyHome is a group advertisement and is not a lawyer referral service. Attorneys who appear on BankruptcyHome pay advertising fees to be included on the site. Using BankrutpcyHome does not create an attorney-client relationship between yourself and an Attorney. BankruptcyHome is not a law firm and the information contained on this site is not legal advice. The attorneys listed do not in any way constitute a referral or endorsement by this website. To see the attorney in your area who is responsible for this advertisement please click here. If you live in Alabama, Florida, Missouri, New York or Wyoming, please click here for additional information